Sunday, July 10, 2011

Orange cake



In India, oranges are very much winter fruits. In some ways I am glad it is that way. Their bright orange globes and tangy aroma brings the cooler months of winter to mind while the sun scorches everything around now. I had made a batch of oranges in syrup when I bought some little oranges a few months back. They turned out to be just the thing when I wanted to make an orange cake. I took the basic recipe from Orangette. Instead of lemon and orange, I made it only with oranges. Also I used roasted, ground pecan instead of almonds. I adored the idea of olive oil in cake! I used an ordinary olive oil i.e non-extra virgin. I think that allowed the cake to retain its orange hue.

Adapted from Orangette
Ingredients
3 small orange in syrup
170 grams almonds
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
4 large eggs, at room temperature
½ tsp. table salt
1 ½ cups sugar
2/3 cup olive oil
3 Tablespoons of marmalade mixed
3 Tablespoons of water

Method
Roast and ground pecans nuts. In a large bowl put all dry ingredients, except sugar and mix. Whip eggs one by one. Add the olive oil and blend with eggs. Add the sugar, oranges and whip. Pour it over the dry ingredients and mix with hand. Oil a round cake form and bake for 45 minutes at 180 degree centigrade. Make a thin sauce out of the maramalade and about 3 tablespoons of water. When done, pour the sauce over the cake and let it cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even proven recipes have variants. If you have tried a variant successfully please let me know the link or type it in!