Monday, July 30, 2012

A take on Pomme Voison

I am still surprised when I realise that the only way I would eat potatoes would  be in the form of mutton curry when I was younger (which translates to before I went to hostel and had to start consuming whatever the mess dished out) ! I have diverged considerably since then, and certain potato dishes are de rigueur at any gathering I hold. Part of the reason is no doubt necessity, the other reason for conversion was Anne Nichols' book "Potatoes: from gnocchi to mash". The pomme voison featured is a take on the recipe in that book. I have made some changes which may not be considered strictly traditional.

Ingredients for four
1 kg large potatoes
25 gm melted butter
50 gm grated cheese, I used Tilsiter
Grated fresh breadcrumbs; white portion only of 2-3 bread slices 
1 cup chopped spring onion greens
2 and half teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 cup water

Method
Parboil potatoes in their skin with salted water, about 3 minutes in the pressure cooker. While this is being done, grate the cheese. Other cheeses can be used; Parmesan had been suggested in Nichols' recipe. Chop the spring onions. Make the fresh bread crumbs. Mix the cheese, spring onions, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bread crumbs. Butter a cake mould. Peel and slice the potatoes. I coat the potatoes with half a teaspoon of salt at this stage. Arrange the potatoes in a layer. Sprinkle the cheese spring onion mix and add little bit of the butter. Continue layering the potatoes in a similar manner until used up. Keep some of the breadcrumb mix to to top the potatoes. Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 15 minutes. Serve warm with freshly ground pepper.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even proven recipes have variants. If you have tried a variant successfully please let me know the link or type it in!