Friday, November 23, 2012

Plantain muffins

Foodies love fresh food. Seasonal. Local. So do the older generation. My father still goes to the local bazar to see what has come up on a daily basis. I on the other hand, shop for a week in advance and then try to stash everything into my inadequate refrigerator.Sometimes the more hardy ones don't even get house space in the fridge. Which brings me to ask, how many of us are actually cooking with vegetables which are "just ready"? Just the other day I chucked out a cob of corn. The kernels themselves looked appeallingly yellow, but there were fungal streaks on the husks which made me think of ergot and ensuing convulsions and hallucination. The plantains used in the following Plantain muffin recipe were hardly fresh. They were bought with the intention of using unripe, but ultimately they started taking on a yellow hue. That's when I decided to make them into muffins. The recipe was created in a slapdash manner. Nothing was actually measured, so what I am writing down now is really an approximate value.
The muffins themselves all that could be wished for; fragrant, moist and dare I say, even healthy.

Ingredients
2 ripe plantains, mashed
8 Tablespoon grated coconut
4 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/ teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup groundnut oil

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degree centigrade. Oil a muffin tin. This mixture makes 8 muffins. Mash the plantain. Add the coconut, sugar, cardamom, flour, baking powder and mix them well. With a mixer, beat the egg and then mix the oil until frothy. Tip the egg mixture into the dry mixture and fold in to just wet all the dry ingredients. Spoon the batter into the moulds and bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even proven recipes have variants. If you have tried a variant successfully please let me know the link or type it in!